Here at Little New-Yorkers, July marks Madeline month. So far we’ve been introduced to the wonderful fearsome character and her nemesis Pepito. We have many exciting craft projects based on the illustrations in the book to create, including the wonderful iconic yellow hat complete with black ribbon. Last week we read Madeline and the Bad Hat, and took our inspiration from the books’ title to create a hat craft project. It was really important that children be able to wear the hat, quite tricky when dealing with paper! However with a little cunning we came up with this template that can be adapted to create any number of hat accessories for the future.
You will need:
- 2 Sheets yellow construction paper 12”x18”
- Black ribbon
- Glue stick
Here’s how to make the hat:
1. Take one sheet of construction paper and cut into long strips. Do this along the longest side of the paper.
2. Take the second sheet and fold it in half lengthways.
3. Use a pencil to draw the template below along the folded edge.
4. You should have one semi-circle along the bottom and two curves along the edges. It should look like the picture above.