November was Superhero month at Little New-Yorkers in celebration of our exhibition Superheroes in Gotham. Each week we discovered a new superhero, from Iron Man to Wonder Woman. The crafts for this month were all linked to allow us to make our own complete superhero costumes!
If you missed any of the weeks, we wanted to give you the opportunity to complete your costumes at home. Just follow the simple steps below to make your very own superhero cape and check back in for new posts on how to make other fun superhero accessories in the coming weeks.
What kind of superhero do you want to be? What will be your color scheme? What special powers will you have? In this post, we’ll be making the accessory de jour for most superheroes, the mighty cape. Here’s how you can make yours!
What you’ll need:
- Logo Templates
- Metallic paper cut into long strips
- Large sheet of tissue paper
1. Start with the logo template. Either a shield or an oval
2. What kind of superhero will you be? Draw a symbol to show what kind of superhero you are
3. Draw your design on the Logo template
5. Take a strip of metallic paper and fold in half. Use scissors to round the edges
6. Open it up and glue the inside
7. Add the tissue paper. Glue the top of the tissue paper and fold it shut
8. You should have a T shape of metallic strips and tissue paper. This is your cape!
9. Add ribbon to each side of the metallic strip